I Never Planned on Doing This.

 


I am not the person you would expect to create a blog about healing division in our world. 

For much of my life I actually avoided confrontation. I wanted people to like me, and at times I agreed with them, smiled, and pretended everything was good; I did not understand that authentic, caring, honest truth smacks down confrontational avoidance time after time. 

I have a feeling that I am not alone in struggling to deal effectively with division. I think a few people do a great job of reaching out across differences of opinion, but most, I think, would rather not. 

With polarization high in this world, and struggles rising, now is the time to connect with others who think differently than ourselves. 

Here is what I am doing to learn to hear voices speaking different truths than my own: 

I listen to podcasts from left, center, and right to understand all perspectives. 

I use tools from The Polarization Lab to reflect on my own online behavior.

I recently video conferenced with a politically polar opposite during "America Talks," (and we got along great).

When I have a discussions with someone who thinks differently, I talk clearly, but not insultingly. I ask questions, and seek to understand, as well as be understood. 

I am learning and growing in this area, imperfect as I am; Join me, please. 

Let's talk in a civil manner with our family, friends, and everyone else. 

Lets heal the divide in our world.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speak Truth to Heal Conflicts

Talking to People Who Think Differently than Me